$1,595.00 – $2,843.00
THE ALPACKA RAFT – THE ONE AND ONLY
High performance, ultralight, and bombproof. Now in its 17th year of production, the Alpacka Raft Series is time tested and proven as the most trusted, most versatile, and most imitated packraft ever. With four sizes available in Open, Self Bailing, and three spray deck configurations, together with our innovative Cargo Fly internal gear storage system, you can customize your Alpacka Raft Series packraft for any adventure. Oh, and its now available in Vectran®!
The Alpacka Series continues the tradition of our original line-up of the Alpaca, Yak, Llama, and Mule. For 17 years running, they have been the unquestioned leader of packrafting innovation, performance, and quality. From a day at your local river, to epic traverses across the most remote locations on the planet, to self supported Grand Canyon trips, the Alpacka Series is time tested and proven as the highest performance, most trusted, and most reliable packraft on earth. Its also the most customizable packraft available with four sizes, six fabric/color options, and five different build configurations to choose from, and all with the option of adding our innovative Cargo Fly internal gear storage system.
For 2017, we kept our classic design but added a few tweaks to make it better than ever. We added a new one-way valve that offers high pressure inflation and easy deflation with a quick turn of the valve core, two lightweight welded stainless D-rings for installing our custom foam backband, and two ultralight handles installed on the inside of the tubes for easier carrying and portaging. We also updated the Whitewater Spray Deck with a larger cockpit and deeper 1-piece coaming that matches our Whitewater Series packrafts and provides a more secure Velcro-free interface with the spray skirt. We’ve also added a removable Whitewater Spray Deck that has the same cockpit configuration as the standard Whitewater Deck but can be removed from the boat for flatwater days via a zipper like the Cruiser Deck.
Looking for thigh straps? We are not offering thigh straps as a factory option on the Alpacka Raft series and the attachment points are no longer included on the Self Bailer configuration, but we’ve still got you covered with the all new Gnarwhal in our Whitewater Series which is available in Self Bailer, Whitewater Deck, and Removable Whitewater Deck Configurations – all with thigh straps factory installed.
Have an older model Alpacka Raft you’d like thigh straps in? We are now offering our patent pending 4-point thigh straps as kit that you can install yourself with a quality polyurethane glue.
- Handmade in Mancos, Colorado
- New one-way valve that provides high pressure inflation and easy deflation with a quick twist of the valve core
- Factory installed stainless D-Rings for installing our Custom Foam Backband (available for $50 upgrade)
- 4 bow grab loops and 2 stern grab loops
- Available in Open, Self Bailer, Cruiser Deck, Whitewater Deck, or Removable WW Deck configurations
- Available with Cargo Fly with Ultralight Internal Dry Bags (Standard Internal Dry Bags available on request)
- Available in 210-denier High Count Nylon, 100/200-denier Vectran®, or 400-denier Vectran®Tubes
- 840-denier Nylon Floor
- Includes: Seat, Inflatable Back Rest, Inflation bag, stuff sack, and basic repair kit.
- Open – The Open configuration is the simplest and lightest full featured packraft available. Its perfect for anything where you don’t need the extra protection and performance of a spray deck or self bailer. All Open Alpacka Raft models come with a standard seat and inflatable backrest which can be upgraded to our custom foam backband.
- Self Bailer – The Self Bailer configuration is ideal for warmer climates, quick entry and exit, whitewater performance, and anyone that prefers a self bailing setup. Our self bailing design separates the inflatable self bailing floor into two pieces with a lightweight 3/4 length 7-inch thick seat in the rear that is protected by a sleeve and a heavier duty baffled insert in the front that keeps your feet up and out of the water. All Self Bailer Alpacka Raft models include the two piece self bailing floor and inflatable back rest which can be upgraded to our custom foam backand.
- Cruiser Deck – The Cruiser Deck is our simplest and lightest deck and designed keep you drier and warmer than an open boat in whitewater, wind, and rain. The Cruiser Deck attaches along the left boat tube and up the left side of the torso with Velcro, which easily comes apart in the event of a wet-exit. An inflatable pillow sheds water and keeps water from pooling in your lap. The deck can be mostly removed when not needed, leaving only the zippered outline and a small panel in the bow. Compared with the Whitewater Decks, the Cruiser Deck is much lighter and simpler with no extra parts to keep track of, but is not nearly as dry when paddling in whitewater or taking waves over the bow. All Cruiser Deck Alpacka Raft models come with the Cruiser Deck, standard seat, and an inflatable backrest which can be upgraded to our custom foam backband.
- Whitewater Deck – The Whitewater Deck is our driest and warmest configuration and our recommendation for cold climates with significant whitewater and any paddler that wants to stay as dry and warm as possible. The 2017 Whitewater Deck is an updated design with a larger cockpit, one-piece coaming, and a more secure Velcro free spray skirt/deck interface. All Whitewater Deck Alpacka Raftmodels come with the Whitewater Deck, 1-piece coaming, spray skirt, standard seat, and an inflatable backrest which can be upgraded to our custom foam backband.
- Removable WW Deck – New for 2017, we are offering a Removable WW Deck that features same cockpit (cockpit, coaming, and skirt) as the standard Whitewater Deck but with the increased flexibility of a water resistant perimeter zipper allowing you to convert to an open boat for more relaxing days. The Removable WW Deck is a great choice for anyone seeking more protection than the Cruiser Deck, but wants some flexibility for a broader range of paddling conditions. If you are planning to paddle in significant whitewater or get cold easily, we still prefer the standard Whitewater Deck. All Removable Whitewater Deck Alpacka Raft models come with the Removable Whitewater Deck, 1-piece coaming, spray skirt, standard seat, and an inflatable backrest which can be upgraded to our custom foam backband.
- Cargo Fly – The Cargo Fly is the ultimate packraft gear storage solution. The three piece system utilizes an airtight and watertight zipper installed in the stern of the boat together with two gear storage dry bags which are clipped in place along the inside of the raft tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage, improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity, quicker transitions from packrafting to hiking, and the internal dry bags act as additional balanced air chambers for increased safety (even over a two-chamber packraft) in the event of a puncture. The Cargo Fly is perfect for expeditions, whitewater performance, and keeping your gear dry in any conditions. All Alpacka Raft models with a Cargo Fly come standard with our Ultralight Internal Dry Bags (you can substitute our Standard Internal Dry Bags by including a note on your order at checkout).
|S (Alpaca)||M (Yak)||L (Llama)||XL (Mule)|
|Boater Height||5’0” – 5’8”||5’7” – 6’0”||6’0” – 6’4”||6’4” – 6’8”|
|Exterior Length||94″ / 239cm||97″ / 246cm||102″ / 259cm||105″ / 267 cm|
|Exterior Width||41″ / 104cm||41″ / 104cm||41″ / 104cm||43″ / 109cm|
|Interior Length||44″ / 112cm||47″ / 119cm||52″ / 132cm||54″ / 137cm|
|Width at Hips||14″ / 35.5cm||14″ / 35.5cm||14″ / 35.5cm||15″ / 38cm|
|Width at Foot||10″ / 25.5cm||10″ / 25.5cm||10″ / 25.5cm||13″ / 33cm|
The Alpacka Raft Series is our original model and namesake. Our founders Sheri and Thor Tingey built the original Alpacka Raft in the basement of their Chugiak, Alaska home in the fall of 2000. Thor had just completed 39-day 600-mile packrafting traverse of the Brooks Range. Thor fell in love with the concept of packrafting and the ability to travel light, fast, and low impact across virtually any terrain, but was disappointed in the design, durability, and quality of the boats they were using. Sheri had been a boater and outdoor clothing designer for 35-years and was looking for a new challenge.
Their first finished Alpacka Raft, the “White Boat,” was made out of heavy white nylon with a urethane coating on one side with 12-inch diameter tubes and an upturned bow all sealed together using a hot air gun, a roller, and a lot of Aquaseal®. They only had enough of the white fabric for one boat, but they made a few more that winter out of different colors with PVC and urethane coatings. The first testing came in the summer of 2001 when Thor took the White Boat to his summer job as a fisheries biologist for Katmai National Park and made multiple descents of the Aniakchak River. Local Anchorage packrafters like Roman Dial started testing the other prototypes and everyone was thrilled with the performance and durability of the new designs.We started our first production of the Alpacka Raft series the winter of 2001/2002 with two sizes, the Yukon Yak and the Denali Llama, and started selling them in the Summer of 2002.
Over the next 5 years, with Sheri running the company and pushing the design envelope, we continued to improve the designs. In 2003, we added a third size, the smaller Alpaca, and began testing a spray skirt. The first skirts stretched over the entire boat and hand an inflatable rim to keep the boat from filling as quickly in the waves, but they were dangerous in swims. In 2004, Sheri developed a method to permanently attach the spray skirt to top of the raft which saved weight and made the skirt safer. From 2005 to 2007, we continued to make the skirt system drier and warmer by adding various Velcro® closures to cockpit that secured around the paddlers waist.In 2007, we moved our operations out of Alaska and opened our own manufacturing facility in Mancos, Colorado where we still make every boat today.
In 2008, a group of Alaskans pushing the boundaries of whitewater packrafting started installing thigh straps in their packrafts. Thigh straps provided new levels of control and whitewater performance, but put Alpacka in a challenging position of not being able to offer thigh straps as a factory option due to the liability risks of entrapment. However, the strong community interest in a better performing whitewater packraft led Sheri to begin development of the Alpackalypse. Although the Alpackalypse took 6 years to complete, the design ideas that came out of its development were critical to the significant improvements of the Alpacka Series during that same time.
In 2011, we modified the hull and introduced the first extended stern packraft–aka the “Big Butt”–which significantly improved the comfort and performance of the boats. We continued to extend the stern slightly over the next two years to where it is today. Almost every full size packraft on the market today has adopted this design.
In 2012, we made two major improvements to the design. First, we added the first kayak style cockpit in a packraft with our Whitewater Deck which provided an almost completely dry paddling experience. Like the extended stern, we have continued to make small modifications to our Whitewater Deck over the years to improve durability, weight, and skirt retention in whitewater. Second, added our innovative Cargo Fly internal gear storage system, which allowed paddlers to get their pack off the bow of the packraft which significantly improved performance, handling, and gear capability. Like the extended stern, both of these innovations were developed through the Alpackalypse project.
Other than the improvements in the spray decks and stern extensions, the Alpacka Series remained largely unchanged until 2016 when we introduced our first self bailing model. Alpacka was definitely not the first to develop a self bailing packraft, but we did take a different approach from the other brands by focusing on a two piece seating system that optimized durability, lightweight, and whitewater paddling performance.
2017 represents a new level of refinement and performance from the Alpacka Series. We added 100-denier, 200-denier, and 400-denier Vectran® as custom fabric options. We changed to a new one-way valve that offers both high pressure inflation (without a pump) and easy deflation with a quick turn of the valve core. We added lightweight stainless D-rings for attaching a custom foam backband for added comfort and control. We added ultralight handles to the inside to make carrying and portaging the boat easier than ever. We modified the Whitewater Deck to have a larger cockpit with a deeper one piece coaming and a Velcro® free interface between the cockpit and spray skirt that offers the best spray skirt retention available in a packraft. We’re even offering our 4-point thigh straps as a factory option in our new Whitewater Series packrafts or as a DIY installation kit for our Alpacka Series.
We don’t yet know what future design and materials advancements will bring to packrafting, but you can always be assured that Alpacka will remain 100% committed to Made in USA manufacturing quality, industry leading design and innovation, and the best materials available.